The Scientific Society Swakopmund was originally a regional subgroup of the SWA Scientific Society, Windhoek. This regional body was founded 1951 to establish the Swakopmund Museum and secure its financial support. 1968 the subgroup opted to become autonomous and the Society for Scientific Development, Swakopmund was established to optimise its administration and secure its importance at the coast. Click HERE for a German article in the newspaper of the time.
In 2006 the society was renamed Scientific Society Swakopmund. It is the governing body of the Swakopmund Museum and Sam Cohen Library. Included are the National Heritage buildings Otavi Railway Station and the Omeg House. The Society is managed by a board of directors.